Saturday, September 5, 2009

Press Conference Transcript: The Pitcher Has No Policy

On Thursday, Curt Schilling said, “Running would be fun…a run would be a lot of fun because pretty much anybody that you're fighting against in office right now doesn't really have much of a leg to stand on right now. There's nobody you can go up against that you couldn't probably drag out a laundry list of stuff and say, 'Listen, this person's already proven that they're status quo, that they're business as usual, and we need anything but in every way shape and form moving forward.”

Assessing Schilling’s announcement news conference, he should employ several policy advisors.
Curt Schilling: “It is the glory and the greatness of our tradition to speak for those who have no voice, to remember those who are forgotten, to respond to the frustrations and fulfill the aspirations of all Americans seeking a better life in a better land. Senator Edward Kennedy said those words and while I disagree with the rest of his convention speech, I agree that I could speak for those with no voice, those who are forgotten, those who aspire and are frustrated. Therefore, I am announcing an exploratory committee, as a precursor to my United States Senate candidacy. I am aware Massachusetts has had only thirteen Republican Senators. However, the Boston Red Sox had only twenty-three playoff victories in eighty-seven years before I arrived. With that, I will take your questions.

Assistant: When Curt calls on you, please state your name and affiliation.

Question: Foon Rhee, Boston Globe. Curt, Senator Kennedy’s signature issue was healthcare. Can you tell us how you will approach health care if elected?
Schilling: As a pitcher and professional athlete, I’ve dealt with several injuries. Everyone remembers the bloody sock, but I also had a tendon injury and several other minor ailments. Senator Kennedy was in two serious accidents, but sitting behind a desk, occasionally standing to speak does not inflict the stress that thirty-plus starts a year will. Given this experience, I feel I can speak with authority about healthcare.

Question: Mike Barnacle, MSNBC. What are your thoughts on the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act? Do you feel it has worked? Would you have voted for the legislation?
Schilling: No it has not and no I would not have. In twenty years, I pitched for five organizations, each of whom managed to sell out their stadiums on a consistent basis. Obviously, salaries are a significant aspect of baseball, salaries must be paid, and therefore owners must put fans in the seats. You cannot stimulate the economy until you must entice people to spend money in a similar fashion.

Question: Matt Margolis, HUB Politics. What is your environmental policy? How would you characterize yourself as an environmentalist?
Schilling: I would not. However, I understand the environment’s role in our economy. I had the privilege of pitching in Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, and Wrigley Field. I know that if those fields weren’t well maintained, teams couldn’t play and revenue would have been lost. We will maintain those standards when I am elected.
Question: Carl Cameron, Fox News. In 2004 and 2008, you campaigned for President Bush and Senator McCain. Would you align yourself with them on tax policy also?
Schilling: Yeah. I talked about stimulating the economy and that won’t happen until people are spending money. People need money to afford tickets or video games or start a blog based business and the Senate must help get that money into their hands. I will propose another 3.8% tax cut, which I hope President Obama will sign.

Question: Jim VandeHei, Politico. You mentioned blog based businesses. You write a blog and utilize that blog within your business. How will you encourage more Americans to start small businesses and will blogs be included in your strategy?
Schilling: Jim, I feel technology is the greatest asset we have. In twenty years, we’ve transitioned from video tape to digital film, both of which I used to amass 3,116 strikeouts in my career. Technology will be a centerpiece of my initiative to help create more small businesses and I will talk about that at my blog, 38 pitches.

Question: Dana Bash, CNN. Senator Kennedy was instrumental in the passage of No Child Left Behind, which has endured its share of criticism. Can you talk about the legislation and if you would have voted for it?
Schilling: I wouldn’t have. Public education is important, but you don’t need a four year degree to succeed. I attended junior college, many of my teammates attended high school only, and our success far exceeded our education. I feel that education isn’t half as important as what is done with spare time, for instance, we need to increase the number of athletic programs. We need increase the number of writing programs, commensurate with blogs, children should learn at a younger age how to form opinions and put them on the internet. Education is not the Mendoza line it once was.
Question: David Freddoso, National Review. General Stanley McChrystal said the situation in Afghanistan is serious, but success is achievable and demands a revised implementation strategy, commitment and resolve, and increased unity of effort. Would you support additional troops?
Schilling: Yes I would. When you are in an impossible situation, similar to the 2004 ALCS, you do whatever you can to prevail. The Yankees had us down 3-0. We altered our approaches, both as hitters and pitchers, and we won. If General McChrystal feels more troops will win Afghanistan, we provide more troops. You can win without making a deadline deal, but your odds improve when you make one.

Contributor: Platinum Smalls

No comments:

Post a Comment